- The CSU AL$ initiative is excited to announce its first interactive open textbook in partnership with Openstax™ and VitalSource Technologies®. This Psychology 110 open textbook was created by Openstax™ and peer reviewed by faculty and meets standard scope and textbook sequencing requirements.
- Students can easily highlight and take notes within their digital texts. They can look up keywords with a simple click and quickly check their understanding of the material at the end of each chapter.
"Especially when equipped with a feature of personalization, computer-assisted learning can be quite effective in helping students learn, particularly with math," (Campus Technology, Sep. 2017).
What is an Interactive Open Textbook?
An interactive open textbook utilizes the proven VitalSource eTextbook platform to enhance the traditional Openstax open ebook experience for both faculty and students. This enhanced open textbook experience offers students the high quality learning content they’ve come to expect from Openstax, combined with much of the same functionality as other proprietary eReader platforms such as highlighting, note taking, and ADA accessibility.
Why Use It?
- Highlight and review text easily
- Share notes with peers
- End of chapter quizzes embedded into the text
- Easy access to text from mobile devices
- Easy access from within LMS
- Interactive vocabulary links embedded into text
- Completely accessible for student users with disabilities
- Compatible with many publisher proprietary eReader platforms
- Track student engagement trends with the text with the instructor dashboard to help tailor instructional plans to meet their needs
- Identify students who may be falling behind
- Learn what students find most relevant or most challenging
- Review when students are reading and on which devices
- Monitor assigned readings and who read before class
- Direct integration/linking into the LMS
How to Get Access?
Are you interested in offering the AL$ Interactive Open Textbook to your students? Select the distribution option that works best for you. Please note that there will be a minimal cost for students to access the platform. Contact your campus bookstore to learn more!
- Adopt through your campus bookstore’s proprietary eReader platform (Vitalsource, Yuzu)
- Direct, immediate access through your campus LMS platform
- Direct access through VitalSource Technologies Additional Resource for Bookstores